Formentera is a tiny island, one of the Spanish Balearic islands, just 9 miles long and barely a mile wide, that can only be reached by boat from Ibiza. It’s like a younger, sleepier, more rural version of Ibiza, although really it has it’s own character entirely. We escaped to Formentera for a few days sleep and sunshine. There’s not a lot to do there, but that’s exactly why we went…. time to slow down, restore the energies and press pause on life.
1. Cala Saona. A wild and deep beach, surrounded by wild grasses and trees, and red clay cliffs. Waves crashed into onto the beach, transporting me away to another world as I lay in the sun.
2. Cala Saona Hotel. The only place to stay, set at the back of the beach. Less than £50 a night, it was great value, clean, comfortable, the best sea views & had a lovely pool area and great service.
3. Driving round on a moped with the wind through my hair & my arms wrapped tightly around my husband
4. Shopping in San Francesc, the island’s capital. I especially loved the beautifully curated Balafia shop with a stylish mix of fashion & interiors. I picked up this pretty dress in the softest cotton and the most perfect mint green colour from French label Germaine des Pres (which even rolls up into a teeny tiny bag: perfect for travelling!) & this pretty cotton covered notebook. Also worth a visit is Mandala, a clothes shop that stocks Havianas and great summer dresses. I picked up a lovely long white dress by Bobi, a LA based label that’s new to me, and another white dress by Italian label Ra-re. You can never have too many white dresses for summer! Being the end of the season they were also in the sale too. Bonus!
5. Sleeping. Pretty much the whole time, when I wasn’t eating.
6. An amazing sunset – the kind that only a cloudy sky can bring…dramatic reds, oranges, blue-purples…
7. Feeling part of nature
8. Spending time chatting with my husband, our legs dangling over the port whilst we waited for the Balearia captain to finish hia siesta and drive the boat back to Ibiza.
Oh, I love summer…..and it’s about to start all over again…. this time tomorrow I will be sunning myself whilst wondering round a French Chateau (all in the name of work of course…)…mmmmm, can’t wait…!